I saw this awesome idea a few months back, I think it was somewhere on Pinterest. It's such a great idea I thought I'd share.
After I was able to build up my milk supply where I could freeze bags I started storing them in our garage freezer since 1-we had more room in it, 2-it stayed colder meaning they would keep longer, and 3- we didn't open it as much so it would stay colder.
Once I filled a bag with milk and labeled, I would put it in our kitchen freezer to get to frozen flat then throw it in our garage freezer. I had a mess of unorganized frozen milk all over the freezer. When it came time to needing to pull a bag or two out I would have to dig through all the bags looking for the oldest date, which was usually always on the bottom.
Enter this genius idea!!
All you need is a scissors, frozen breastmilk in freezer bags and a paper gift bag.
I have a stack of them in the basement because I hate throwing perfecting good gift bags away if I can re-use them. I think it's a waste of money and paper....that's just me being Green though.
Now all you need to do is cut out a section of the gift bag on one of the sides at the bottom. Cut it wide enough your storage bags will fit through and high enough that only one or two will show at a time.
Then place your oldest milk in first so it sits at the bottom. As you freeze your milk you will through the newest milk in on the top.
When you need to grab a bag of frozen milk you just pull out the milk through the slot you cut, pulling the oldest milk on the bottom first.
Now my freezer is AND breastmilk is completely organized. My first gift bag was over-flowing so I just started a whole new one behind it. So I pull form the first and add to the second.
GENIUS!!!



2 comments:
What a fabulous idea! We used shoeboxes and stood the frozen bags on end, but it could still be a challenge to find the oldest bags. Congratulations on building a freezer supply1
I know! I thought it was such a genius idea I had to share :)
Post a Comment