Thursday, December 10, 2015

Harper - One Month

Our little lady is one month old already!

It's been both one long and super fast month. Having a newborn and a toddler is definitely challenging but really fun at the same time. I love watching MJ with his baby sister even if she currently isn't quite aware of him just yet.  



Age: One Month
Weight: 8lbs 2 ounces as of 2 week doctor’s appointment on 11/20
Length: 20 ½ inches as of 2 week doctor’s appointment on 11/20
Size: Newborn and 3 months clothes. Using up the last of the newborn diapers and just starting to break into a few of the 3 month clothes and pjs.
Hair: Dark brown, although I think it’s already lightened up a little bit from birth
Eyes: Dark blue gray, I’m guessing she’s going to have blue eyes like her brother.


Health: Thankfully so far she has been a perfectly healthy baby! Hoping we can do as best as possible to avoid colds and germs from being brought home from daycare by big brother for as long as possible. She has a sensitive bum, as she has already gotten one diaper rash. 

Teeth: N/A

Sleeping: Just a few days prior to 4 weeks we started transitioning Harper to her crib at night. She is one noisy kid that I’ve barely been getting more than an hour sleep at one time. It’s definitely been an adjustment but it’s going well so far. Naps are hit or miss right now. She cat naps a lot and prefers to be held for ALL sleeping which is a bit frustrating as no matter how long she has been asleep she will typically wake up within 5-15 minutes of being put down. I’m trying all morning/afternoon long to get her to take a nap without being held for longer than 20 minutes. She is starting to take one good afternoon nap so hopefully it continues.  At night Harper has started sleeping for about 3 hour increments. She usually eats and goes right back to sleep. She seems to have a witching hour from around 7pm- 11:30pm where she is pretty fussy and just can’t seem to figure out how to sleep during this time. I usually can’t get her to fall asleep for the night until after 11:30pm no matter what I do or try to cluster feed her, or swaddle, or rock/bounce, ect. But once 11:30pm hits then she is out for the night aside from waking to eat and even that I can't get her to usually finish feeding from both breasts. 

Eating: Breastfeeding only! She has been doing very well with it. She actually doesn't nurse for nearly as long as Madden did, she usually only east 5-7 minutes from each side and Madden use to nurse 10+ minutes each side. I kept thinking she wasn't eating enough but have learned she just doesn't need as much as she is growing and gaining weight just fine. She currently is eating about every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. She has been given a bottle once and took it just fine, drinking about 2 ounces.   


Movement: Lifting her head up
Milestones: Umbilical cord fell off, took her first bottle, starting to make more noises, and started smiling!
Favorite Toys/Activities: Eating, sleeping, pooping, being held, and definitely prefers to be bounces over being rocked to get her settled down.  

Little Turkey's First Thanksgiving

Dislikes: Being awake or set down, clothes going over her head while getting changed. 
Words: N/A
Sounds: Squawks, cries and just started cooing 

Santa Babe - look at those eyes!

Funny/Favorite Moments

  • During a feeding she pulled away to catch a breath due to a heavy milk flow and it continued to spray her in the face! 
  • Madden found some loose change around the house so I told him to go put it in his piggy bank. He has a large and small baseball piggy bank then a while back found a little plastic one we were given from a bank that he wanted also. He was talking to me about how many banks he and Harper have. I told him he has 3 but she doesn't have one just yet and we need to go get her one. Later that night when I took Harper to her room to change her, I found on her dresser his small baseball piggy bank. He had given it to her so she now has her own bank. My heart melted and I turned to a puddle of mush! How cute is that!!

Brother begged to be apart of her One Month pictures.

Monthly Highlights
  •  Lost umbilical cord at 1 week 2 days
  • First outing at 4 days old to Von Maur
  • Took newborn pictures at 5 days new
  • Took first bottle at 3 weeks old, drank 2 ounces
  • Grandma and Papa Dexter watched you for the first time at 3 weeks old so mommy and daddy could go to a wedding reception
  • You love being held!
  • You’re most fussy between 7:00- 11:30pm
  • Transitioned from sleeping in mom and dad’s room in the pack-n-play to your crib in your own room
  • Although you act like you don’t like being swaddled, you seem to sleep best swaddled at night and afternoon naps
  • You sleep A LOT
  • First real smiles started at 3 weeks
  • You’re brother really LOVES you!

No comments: