Friday, August 8, 2014

Monster Party Recap

We had MJ's party the week before his actual birthday since Bix was the following weekend. It turned out great because the weather was perfect! Last it was it was so darn hot and humid out , if you weren't wet from the pools or slip 'n slide, you were dying. This year it was a gorgeous 80 degrees no humidity.  We decided on a much smaller and low key second birthday compared to his first. We have a small family so we had family and just a couple friends over who have kids MJ's age. Pizza, fruit and cupcakes for an easy spread and a few backyard water activities.  

Since MJ has really been into watching Monster's University the past few months we went with a monster's theme party, nothing movie specific just general crazy monsters. 
I found very inexpensive and cute monster invitations on Walgreen's website that were ready in less than an hour! 
I made Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes which were heaven, actual monster cookie dough center with peanut butter frosting chocolate chips and mini M&M's on top. Recipe can be found here! Of course I made him his own monster smash cake. 

All the kiddos got monster gift bags which were super easy to make. I just cut out white circles from my pile of scrapbook paper and a few teeth then drew with marker the mouths and eyeballs. I picked up monster jelly bracelets from Michael's on clearance, bubbles, Monster University fruit snacks, monster googly eye glasses from Party City, and candy from the pinata.
Wearing our monster glasses!
Summer birthdays are meant for pool parties right? I have a feeling the majority of MJ's birthdays will be water related. This year we got two baby pools, the water table and water balloons.

Obviously Madden just had to have a little batting practice with the water balloons. 

And a bounce house!

The kids brought in all the balloons from inside the house and had a ball bouncing after them. 

This is his "CHEESE" face

Time for Cake!
Since I opted for the cupcakes and not a big monster cake like I originally wanted I still wanted him to have a mini monster cake :) it's the baker in me! He's still not one to get a down 'n dirty in the frosting or getting his hands messy so he decided to eat with no hands. 


These Three. They LOVE playing with each other.
Two months apart between all three, they go together like peas and carrots.

I made a homemade Monster pinata from a brown paper bag and post-it notes. We filled it with candy and Raisinettes for the littles which they were able to put in the gift bags to take home too. The pinata was super easy to make, directions can be found here to make, although I ended up adding some extra glue under the post-its to hold them better and made hole through the ears to help hold the rope. 
It was a hit, literally! haha
The kiddos loved whacking it with the baseball bats and they all did a great job sharing and taking turns. I think Carter got it to bust open. 

Everyone got to be a Monster! 
I of course got the idea off Pinterest here. Found a big box in the garage that I cut open and bought some cheap paint in the craft section at Walmart. I drew freehand monsters off the birthday invitation, painted them and had cutouts in two of the monster for the kids to poke their head through.  

It was such a fun filled day with our family and a couple friends. Makes me wish every weekend could be a birthday party weekend. We're looking forward to making lots more memories with this little monster of ours! 

1 comment:

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

You did such a great job!!!