Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hey Muffin Top

"Muffin-top" is a generally pejorative slang term used to describe the phenomenon of overhanging fat when it spills over the waistline of pants or skirts in a manner that resembles the top of a muffin spilling over its paper casing.


Hey Muffin Top,

It's about time we part ways. Here we are, going on 3 months postpartum and you haven't budged one bit practically since giving birth. It's not all your fault, I took full advantage of pregnancy and all of its glory by indulging and giving into all my cravings like big delicious cheeseburgers!

Apparently one of the many benefits to breastfeeding is suppose to be burning lots of calories. Most mama's have an easy time losing weights by not doing anything besides BF.

I hate them. It's a lie! At least for me anyways. I apparently can't eat whatever I want while breastfeeding and lose any amount of weight.

None of my work pants fit.

All my shirts are too tight.

It’s getting too cold for dresses.

I can only get away with wearing one pair of my yoga pants to work (yes I sneak them!).

I don’t have enough shirts/dresses to wear with leggings for more than two days a week.

I don’t have one pair of non-maternity jeans that fit.

If I do wear said clothes I swear people are looking at you muffin top, sometimes I want to yell at them "I just had a baby!” or wish I had a sign saying that. I know it's most likely all in my head.  

Muffin top I officially hate you (and any mother who was able to fit into their pre-pregnancy clothes within 2 months of giving birth)! Okay hates a bit of an exaggeration, it's just down right jealous.


I said I didn’t care about how much weight I would gain since it took us 3 years to get here and that I wouldn’t keep track... but in the end, at those final weight-ins at the doctor’s office, I did. I gained 41 pounds! After delivery I didn’t get on the scale until two weeks postpartum, I had lost 20 of those pounds no sweat.

But now, 13 weeks later, every one of those remaining 21 pounds have decided they just want to stick around and hang out. I know it took 9 months to put the weight on so it could take 9 months plus to take the weight off. These first few months I haven’t worried much about the weight, of course it has bothered me but I’ve focused on enjoying spending time with my son and adjusting to motherhood.

Now I’m just over it.

I want my body back!

I know it might not ever be the same but I'm ready for something that closely resembles what it use to be and to be able to wear normal clothes comfortably again.

It’s time to start doing something about it so I can start feeling better about myself!

I decided to try something I never have. Something healthier. No more crazy hcg diets. No cleanses like my coworkers do. I want to focus on my diet, the things I actually put into my body! So I can learn to be a healthier person overall for myself and for my son. I want to be a good role model for him when the time comes for him to start eating solids in a few months

Last week I decided to join Weight Watchers along with my friend Tera that I work with. I'm also giving the Couch to 5K another shot. Last time I made it through 5 weeks before I over did it and my knee started acting up. I'm no runner but I would like to get the point someday that I truly enjoy working out. Tera decided to join me in doing the Couch to 5K too, she's never been able to run either so we're a perfect pair to start this out together. We're going to the Y on our lunch breaks 3 times a week during the work week. Doing this with a friend we're able to keep each other accountable for eating healthy and sticking to a workout and also to encourage each other with our success, struggles and stall-outs. 

After one week I've lost 2lbs.

This week we're repeating week one of the C25k since we're both completely out of shape and neither have actually worked out for a very long time (aside from the one time I went to the gym since MJ's arrival). I was sore and tired last week but this week I'm actually starting to feel good about how I'm going on the treadmill.....I hope it continues!

So, so long Muffin Top. I hope to get rid of you fast and never meet you again!



p.s. - Any words of encouragement would me much appreciated along the way. I'll continue to post updates.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Brenda- Robyn is 4 and Lucas is 16 months...I JUST put on my pre-pregnancy jeans comfortably for the the first time last week! I gained 50(!!)lbs when I when I was pregnant with Robyn and lost 35 of them. I always knew my body would never be the same, and it's not, but I wouldn't trade it. Most of my clothes don't fit the same, and some of them never fit again..I'm ok with that.
A healthy mix of good food and exercise will do wonders- but don't beat yourself up about it! I used the "I just had a baby" excuse for a year :) Good luck- and good for you for making time to take care of you!

LC said...

I feel like this post came straight out of my mouth. :) Good luck to you...to us all...as we work out these new postpartum bodies.