Far too often I find myself distracted by television, movies, social media, and being on the computer. When I first started breastfeeding I downloaded an app on my phone to help keep track of all his feedings, which side he ate on, how long eat feeding was, when I pumped, how much I could pump, and how many ounces he ate when we fed him a bottle. It saved mysaving and sanity in those first 3 months through the newborn/new mom haze! Then I’d get on my phone to Facebook stalk to help pass time or to help keep me awake during those night-time feedings every 3 hours. Those nursing sessions use to be so long. On maternity leave I planted my butt down on the couch in front of the TV all day long while nursing and holding little man while he slept to help keep me occupied.
Once he started daycare and we got into more of a rhythm I stopped using the breastfeeding app but I still played on my phone while he nursed. Then during one of this nightly feedings when I was watching him he no longer looked like a newborn. In his dimly lit nursery I realized my new baby boy really wasn’t so little anymore. My growing 3 month old was filling out, starting to lose his baby hair, noticing the world around him, and acting more like a baby then a newborn every day! I decided to put away my phone, keep the TV off or just stay in his room away from distractions to pay more attention to him during those times.
After realizing what a difference it made to put away my phone just during that time I want to make sure I continue being in the moment, not only while nursing but in all other aspects. I've been thinking about it a lot for a while. Mainly while MJ is awake but I’d also like to have a conversation with my husband without having to say his name 3 times to get his attention or have his response to me be “huh?” after HE asks me a question. (Does anyone else have this problem?)
I’ve realize we have the TV on far too much, Dave’s eyes are always glued to it from the moment he gets home from work or wakes up in the morning till after we go to bed. He "needs" the TV on to fall asleep. And our phones are always going off with notifications or text messages. I want us to me more in the moment this year. It’s going to be hard to break that habit, especially with Dave, but MJ is just growing up so fast, each month he gets more fun and every stage he gets more entertaining with his personally developing. I don’t want to look back and miss any of it. I don’t want Dave too either. It’s time to soak up everything we can about our little man because before we know it, he’s going to be a toddler (yikes! Let’s not think about that yet).
I guess I have another goal to add to my 2013 list. All blogging, computer time, and Facebooking with take place after MJ’s in bed, during nap times or while MJ has some independent play time. I will try not to immediately turn the TV on first thing in the morning or when I get home from work. And I will continue keeping all electronics away while nursing.
No comments:
Post a Comment