Sunday, January 17, 2016

21 Day Fix Week 1

I was just recently introduced to the 21 Day Fix by Beachbody from a friend of mine whose been using the program for the past year and became a Coach. She decided to start a 21 Day Wellness Challenge group in January on Facebook for anyone who might be interested in joining who wanted a healthier and more balanced life.


 Getting closer to the countdown of going back to work I emailed her for more information about the program. I have been wanting to get back into an exercise routine and shed a couple more pregnancy pounds prior to going back to work in hopes to have a few more regular clothing options and start packing up those maternity clothes. We would be doing the workouts and following the eating plan together while holding each other accountable. The program sounded pretty doable and a great way to ease back into things. What I really loved was the idea of doing it with a group for that accountability and having to check in everyday so I went ahead and decided to try it out. 


I just completed week 1 and let me tell you I am out of shape! The program comes with a DVD of 7 different 30 minute workouts, one of each day of the week. I can do them in the convenience of my living room, or my case basement, and all I need is two sets of weights (I don't have a yoga mat that is suggested). The first 4 days I was so completely sore all over. Working muscles I haven't worked for awhile!! But I have to admit at day 5 it was starting to feel good again. 


The workout schedule includes
Monday: Total Cardio Fix
Tuesday: Upper Body Fix
Wednesday: Lower Body Fix
Thursday: Pilates
Friday: Cardio
Saturday: Dirty Thirty (Sweat session!)
Sunday: Yoga

There is also a Bonus 10 minute Abs that can be added on to any of the days as well as a Bonus DVD with an additional 30 minute workout. 

The eating plan was a bit more of an adjust for my the first couple days. I think I was trying over complicate things. The containers are completely deceiving!! They look so tiny when you're looking at them, I was thinking I was going to be starving the entire 21 days. But fear not, the portions are on point and it helps that you're suppose to eat every 2-3 hours. 

 A few of my meals from the week: Lots of eggs! Clockwise starting at the top Left: Hard boiled egg, turkey bacon, whole wheat toast, blackberries; mixed berries; spaghetti zoodles; eggs with sauted sweet potato, mushroom, onions and cilantro; egg white omelette with spinach; apple with almond butter. 
The eating plan is all about portion control and clean healthy foods. I think my entire maternity leave the only vegetable I've eaten are french fries....those count as a vegetable right?! I've made some freezer meals I stocked up on prior to having Harper and things people have dropped off or made for us. But we have been eating out a lot, picking up fast food or having pizza. Nothing good for this waistline, so it definitely have been a challenge this week to get change mindsets. 

One thing I am really proud of is that I finally made Zoodles (zucchini noodles) with marinara sauce, chicken sausage and a little bit of cheese....OMG they were so delicious!! I will definitely be trying out different recipes with them. I've had a few slip ups and cheats. Of course on day 2 Dave's parents came over and brought pizza, I held strong and didn't have any even though on the plan I could have. Then two days later his mother send over M&M chocolate chip cookies, 'because they're Madden's favorite"! Those I cheated with :( but I only ate 2 two different days and not more than that or have it ruin my eating habits the rest of the day. Then on Saturday Dave ordered Happy Joe's pizza....yes pizza again....and I had my allotted amount for the program, although it actually made me feel gross. 

Overall, after one week I am actually feeling great!! I feel like the bloat is gone, I've feeling leaner, stronger, and a but more energy. Looking forward to see what week 2 brings. 

No comments: