Sunday, July 28, 2013

Grey and Yellow Baby Shower

A few weeks ago I got the honor of throwing my friend Tera a baby shower

I've known Tera for just over 7 years now (wow time sure has flown by), we've worked together for two different companies and at 3 different time frames, she's moved to Delaware and back, we're both moves around town, both got engaged, both got married, and have been at each others sides through both our long journeys to get pregnant.

I was completely thrilled the early morning in December I got a call from her (granted we were going to be seeing each other at work in like an hour) when she told me she had just take a pregnancy test that came back positive and she was in utter shock! After months and years of trying, taking test after test turn up negative it was completely unexpected. And she had no idea what to do or who to call. 

I got the first call, how cool is that!!     

I've been wanting to help throw a baby shower for a long time now so I offered early on to host and was super excited when I really got too.

Invitation from Etsy by ModernBeautiful

Absolutely LOVED these invites!!
Tera decided she wanted to go with a grey and yellow nursery so I stole the color scheme for her shower too. She also loves children's books so I went for a Children's book theme. I used books from MJ's own collection and checked out all the rest at the library. With the invitation I included a really cute poem to have all the guests from a children's book instead of a card and to write a message to the baby in it so it could be read each time the book is read.  
Venue: My house

Decor:
I made all the grey, yellow and white pom poms with tissue paper, pipe cleaner and ribbon in which I hung them all around the house for the decor. I also made the "Welcome Baby Berkey" and "Oh Baby" signs with scrapbook paper and my Cricut machine. On the tables and fireplace mantle I places the books along with wooden baby blocks that the baby got to keep afterwards.

For the menu I wanted to coordinate books with the food which turned out really cute. I placed the corresponding book next to the dish with a label.
Menu:
Green Eggs and Ham - Ham and Turkey Sandwiches and Deviled Eggs
Puff the Magic Dragon - Puff Pastries
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Fruit
Eating the Alphabet - Veggie Tray
Strega Nona - Pasta Salad
The Stinky Cheese Man - Cheese and Crackers
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish - Colored Swedish Fish
Hippo Lemonade - Adult Strawberry Lemonade and a Kid-Friendly Punch
If You Give A Cat A Cupcake - Strawberry Cupcakes and Gluten-free Lemon Cupcakes


I've never been a huge fan of the majority of those corny baby shower games so I wanted to do something different. I complied a list of questions on children's book trivia. The questions ranged from old books to newer more recent ones. It may have been a little easier of I would have done multiple choice answers for some but oh well it was still fun.

For an activity while the Momma-to-be opened presents and as a gift, I bought all the letters of the alphabet in an assortment of fonts, sizes and styles for some craft time. Tera loved the alphabet letters I made and put up in MJ's room and had been talking about them for months. I kept giving her coupons to Michael's to go buy them but she never got around too it. So as her shower got closer and closer I decided to do it for her.  

 I got a little bit of slack from everyone at first. Every made excuses they weren't crafty or talented or good at painting or knew what to do. Excuses, excuses.

I brought out all sorts of scrapbook paper to go with the color scheme to modge podge to the letters and I also bought an assortment of paints I thought were complementary.
It was so much fun watching everyone start to get really into it. Some guests chose to do modge podge paper and others chose to paint.


They turned out awesome!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to see them up in baby Berkey's nursery!

Me with the Momma-To-Be (excuse my dad photo bombing!)

No comments: