Wednesday, February 5, 2014

We All Scream For...

I scream, You scream, We All Scream For...Ice Cream?!?!?

What in the world could this kid be so upset about??
Fake out "ice cream" that's what!

Another Pinterest idea coming at you.
This guilt-free ice cream idea is from a site called Farm to Table found here.
They used just 3 ingredients...bananas, peanut butter and cocoa powder to provide a guilt-free treat.

I had just bought some chocolate PB2 to try out so I used that instead. My version is just 2 ingredients! 

It's pretty darn easy...

Just slice up some bananas, put them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer for a couple hours or until you get around to making your 'ice cream'. I put mine in the freezer at breakfast yesterday morning then made this after I got home from work, so a solid 9-10 hours.
1. Throw your frozen sliced bananas in a food processor. Mine is totally old school...stolen given from my mom since she never used the thing and is probably from when my parents got married. It seriously weighs 20 lbs!!
2. Blend, blend, blend. Then blend some more. At first it gets really grainy. For me it kept getting stuck no matter how many times I scraped down the sides and tried mixing it. Finally I added half an unfrozen banana and that really helped get things going and blended.  
3. The bananas will finally get really nice and smooth and creamy.
4. Then that is when you add your other ingredients in, blend once more and it is ready to serve!

Madden Approved!!!

He kept asking for more more! (I love when they repeat everything twice;))


I used 3 1/2 bananas (3 frozen and 1/2 an unfrozen)
3 Tbsp of Chocolate PB2

I made 3 servings out of this recipe and based my calculations off that.
Per serving
151 calories
1g Fat
0.2g Saturated Fat
0mg Cholesterol
36.2mg Sodium
526.2mg Potassium
36.6g Carbs
4.4g Fiber
19.5g Sugar
3.6g Protein

This definitely curbed my sweet tooth craving! I thought it was pretty good. Can definitely taste the banana, I wouldn't use overly ripe as for me that would be too much banana flavor. I think I could have added another Tbsp of the PB2, I love me some chocolate and peanut butter combo!!

For not having any added sugar or milk, I thought it was great. Even Dave said it was pretty good for not being ice cream and he doesn't like anything healthy! I will definitely make this again and mix in some different flavors like some frozen berries or almond butter to see what else works.

 Mommy and Waistband Approved too!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Just hopped over to your blog and is it ok that I might want to make this for myself?! WAY healthier than real ice cream, and I'm sure with maybe a few chocolate chips it wouldn't be that bad for me!!!!