When the "boppy" fairy (aka pacifier) goes missing unexpectedly you run with it!
This kid has
always been addicted to his pacifier. After he turned one, we started limiting
it more to just bedtime and naps. So I've actually had no problem what so ever
with an almost 3 year old still having a pacifier! I know there are many people
out there that may judge that saying he is too old for a pacifier but I really
could care less. It stays in his bed with his blankie, he doesn’t carry
it around with him at all times, it doesn’t get in the way of his speech, and
it’s one of the last two things (aside from diapers) that still make him a “baby”.
L
He’s actually
NEVER been given his pacifier for naps at daycare. I actually never knew that
until we switched him from his carrier to an actual car seat after he turned
one. I brought in the pacifier to give to the babysitter and she just very
casually and nonchalantly told me “Oh he never uses that there. I’ve never
given it to him at nap.” So I know he has always been totally capable for
sleeping without this pacifier but it had become a habit at home and has
continued to stay one.
Of course there have
been stages when he was a bit more dependent on it than we wanted. I think
around when he turned two, there were a few months as soon as we would get home
he would run to his bedroom to grab his boppy and blankie to carry around all
day or evening long. He would try to hide them behind his back or under pillows
if we told him to put them away.
Anyways, Dave and
I have decided to move Madden into a Big Boy Room around his birthday. Which should
hopefully give Madden enough time to adjust to sleeping in his new room before
baby arrives. He of course wants it to be a baseball room which Dave is
thrilled about ;) So over the past few
weeks we’ve been talking to Madden about his big boy room and in order to get it
he has to be potty trained and no pacifiers are allows.
A week ago last Saturday
Dave and I went out to dinner and movie for our Anniversary, so his parents
came over to babysit. During that time he had his pacifier and then lost it
somewhere in the house. They all looked everywhere for it! Madden even looked in my usual hiding spots
and apparently was a bit distraught about where it could be, as expected.
Grandma and Papa didn’t even think to call to ask about a back-up, which were
sitting on a shelf in his room behind his picture. He typically has no problem
going to sleep but was a little harder to fall asleep at first wanting all the
lights on, the door open and grandma in his room to read extra books. He was
fast asleep by time we got home and actually stayed asleep all night long. Once
they informed us of the missing paci I immediately decided to run with it. Sure
we had back-ups but he went to bed like a little trooper the first night it
went missing. The following night when he asked where his Boppy was, I reminded
him how he had lost it the night before and we
hadn’t found it yet (which we hadn’t yet). It seemed to be fine with the
answer and went to bed just fine with only his blankie.
We have now been pacifier/boppy FREE for a week and a half!!!
Dave actually ended up finding it about 4 days later in our bedroom under his side of the bed. Madden still asks every night where his boppy is but is fine with his telling him that it's lost. Most nights he does yell for one of use to come back in his because he's cold or wants milk or a sucker or another kiss or to cuddle. I gladly come back in to give him extra kisses, hugs and cuddles. It actually makes me look forward to his big boy room even more since he will be transitioning into a full size bed and I can definitely fit into that to cuddle :)
Now to concur potty training...


No comments:
Post a Comment