Honestly, this is a book I probably would have never picked up on my own from the title, the look of the cover and the description. I was given The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins from a co-worker of mine who had picked it up and highly recommended it. I really had no interest in it and the book probably sat in my nightstand for 2 months or so.
Right before we left on vacation I started to read a few chapters so I brought it with to read on the beach. It is an adult science finction book about a 16-year old named Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once existed. This is where a government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. The Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of 12 districts for a massive televised battle in which only one person can survive. See that doesn't even sounds interesting to me........but I coundn't put it down and ended up getting hooked!
And I of course finished it right before we went zip lining. So the entire time we are in the jeep on the bumpy mud road there, all I could think about was that anytime we are going to tip over and be stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Stranded in jungle. It was going to be just like in The Hunger Games and I would need to learn how to survive by eating plants (they have banana trees, coffee beans and cocoa), fight off wild animals (basically they just have livestock, donkeys, cows and rooster...really vicious!), and any person that tried to kidnap or kill me or whatever. Non of that happened. But this is now much I got into the book, by imagining something like it happening to me in the Dominican. LOL.

1 comment:
I heard about these books from one of my co-workers too!! I might have to check them out :)
Post a Comment