Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cherry Scones

My First Cherry Recipe!
I made these a month or two ago but I'm just getting to posting them. Okay this recipe didn't go exactly as planned. I didn't used dried cherries like the recipe calls for instead I used fresh cherries, although I didn't totally drain them so things were A LOT more messy then they should have been. I went for the icing on top of them after they were done baking but I did not have any oranges or orange juice on hand so instead I used the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon and it turned out good. I gave some to both parents to try and got good reviews.

Cherry Scones Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsps sugar
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries**
  • whipping cream or milk
  • sugar

**In a small bowl pour enough boiling water over 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries to cover. Let the cherries stand for 5 minutes; drain well.

Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl combine flour, the 2 Tbsps sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of the flour mixture; set mixture aside.

In a medium bowl combine eggs and the 3/4 cup whipping cream. Stir drained cherries and 1/4 tsp almond extract in with egg mixture. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll each dough half into a 6-inch circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.

Place dough wedges 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Option 1: Brush wedges with whipping cream and sprinkle with additional sugar. Option 2: Drizzle baked scones with Orange Icing (see below). Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet; serve warm.

Orange Icing: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp orange juice, and 1/4 tsp vanilla; stir in additional orange juice, 1 tsp at a time, to reach desired drizzling consistency.

No comments: