Another BUST!!
UHHHH this is frustrating. Dave is just as frustrated....I hate telling him this month didn't work, especially when both of us for sure thought we had to have done it this time around. I went to the Dr. on Thursday for my follow-up and our next step is Clomid with IUI. Dave's all for doing whatever we need to in order to get pregnant, it's nice to have so much support and participation from him in the process.
So what is an IUI? Intrauterine Insemination (previously known as Artificial Insemination but they updated it because apparently insemination can happen in four locations so it defines which one is which) basically it's a simple procedure that involves placing the sperm inside the uterus to help facilitate fertilization. Can't we just use a turkey baster to put those babies up there like in the movies ha ha, then it would be free! A thin flexible catheter is threaded through the cervix and injects "washed" sperm directly into the uterus. The semen is washed in a lab beforehand to separate the semen (and all those good swimmers that we want!) from the seminal fluid. This helps maximize the number of sperm cells that are placed in the uterus to increase the possibility of conception. From what I understand the actual procedure literally takes all of 2 minutes. I will still be on Clomid to help improve egg production and stimulate my eggies and will continue with the OPK and once I get a positive will call into my doctors office and set up an appointment to come in the next day for the IUI. The overall success rate is about 10-20% per cycle, so really not that much of an increased rate but it helps give those swimmers a better chance at racing to the egg(s) by bi-passing the cervix, damn cervix getting in the way!
I'm also going to be calling another doctor next week and seeing if I might be able to switch from just my OBGYN to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE), try saying that 3 times fast! I'll just stick with RE for now :) I figure since we're moving on from just medicated cycles it would be better to see an actual specialist of all those girlie parts and infertility. Not sure how long it will take to get into see him so for now we are just planning on going through with our first IUI this month with my Dr while we wait to see the RE. Hopefully it won't be too long!
No comments:
Post a Comment