Thursday, February 2, 2012

1st purchase...

Baby's first purchase came in the mail and I could not be more excited...We are officially on the road to cloth diapering MJ!!

Cotton Babies was having a deal, buy 2 get one Free on certain colors/patterns for the BunGenius 4.0. I've been doing A LOT of reading on-line and really liked them on the Internet but wanted to see what they were like in person. Last week I decided to purchase a set to see how I would like them, and I loved them! BumGenius don't go on sale too often from what I read and in the last year have only seen a deal for buy 5 get 1 free (I've been researching for a while). This is a better deal! So I thought since it was such a great deal and I liked them, that I would buy the other 3 to choose from. I just got them in the mail today. It's made me pretty excited about cloth diapering! 

See they really look like a disposable but aren't.
These cloth diapers are called pocket diapers, each came with 2 inserts (a soaker and a newborn) that you stuff in the "pocket" for absorbency. These are an All In One (AIO) diaper which basically is the closest to how a disposable works, once it's dirty you put on an entire fresh AIO diaper.

AIO pocket diaper, soaker insert and the newborn insert (it's thinner)

Dave even practiced the first day we got them ;)

I don't plan on using all BunGenius AIO pocket diapers. There are one or two other types I'm wanting to get that I know will be even more "Dad Friendly". Just got to wait for some more deals! 

Even though just getting introduced to cloth diapers is completely overwhelming as there is so many different brands and types of diapers out there, I'm looking forward to getting started. Even with some of the negative comments people have made. A girl Dave works with (who does NOT cloth diaper) told him I was going to regret using cloth diapers. Every one still thinks cloth diapering involves a rubber cover, a cloth and pins....it's NOT!! They have come a looong long way, as you can see, and I am determined to not only save money, use chemicals free diaper (as disposables aren't), less trash, and of course the environment.   

There are pretty limited resources here in the QCA and unfortunately I only know one or two people that actually cloth diaper so it's really hard to have support or get advice. Although I did find there is a cloth diaper consultant in Bettendorf!! I'm thinking of contacting her, she's from Diaper Parties by Everything Birth. Which is like how it sounds, just like you can have a Lia Sophia or 31 party, you can have a cloth diaper party!!!  The consultant will come to your house with an entire cloth diaper kit full of all types and brands of diapers and accessories to try out and test. You can find out what you like in person rather than just looking on the Internet or ordering on-line then having to return if you don't like them. Although I'm not sure any of our friends and family would be interested in a party, the consultants can do presentations and one-on-ones. I think this is a great idea and want to at least do the one-on-one!!

5 comments:

The Gorsh House said...

I support you 110% and think this is great! I would be open to attending a party too as this is a whole new world to me!

Heather said...

I wish I would have known. I just sold my ENTIRE stash on Ebay, including my wet/dry bag and my pail liner.
I Loved Cloth Diapering! It was super easy and SO cost efficient.

Heather said...

P.S. There is also a couple in Davenport called Green Bottoms, that sells them out of their house! They are awesome!!

Monica Johnson said...

Go for it! you have inspired me to consider cloth diapers if our next one comes at the age of needing diapers. not sure how receptive my day care would be but definitely something we will do at home!

Sarah Seibert said...

I will come if u haven't had one yet! Very interested! Maybe krista Nelson will too! I have a ton of preggers friends right now! Lol!!