I conquered the nursery over the weekend!
Once we bought the bedding I thought about painting all the walls, three walls one color and the fourth an accent color with possible stripes somewhere in there. Husband wasn't a fan of that idea so I went with plan B, a fully striped wall!
I actually like painting, weirdo, I know! I did all the painting in our first house when we first moved in and when we went to sell. I even lend my services out to friends. Dave on the other hand will paint if he has to but of course doesn't take it as seriously as me, especially when it comes to the idea of stripes....I'm much more of the perfectionist. So of course I decided to take control and wouldn't let him near the room....plus our priorities are on the opposite sides of the spectrum, if I put him in charge of painting it wouldn't get done until about a week before our due date (seriously!).
Thankful I was able to find a friend who owned a laser level, this seriously saved my sanity! I tried making the first few lines level on my own with a hand level, it sort of worked. Although once I got my hands on the laser level I learned they were slightly unlevel.
All the walls in the room are already a neutral beige. I pulled the colors from the bedding for the stripes on the wall: navy blue, medium blue, light blue, green and brown. I decided to do big thick stripes of each color, broken up by small stripes of the original wall color. The wall measured from ceiling to baseboard 91 1/2 inches. After doing come careful calculations I choose to make the small beige stripes 5 inches thick, two stripes 12 inches and three stripes 16 inches*. I used Blue Painters tape and put X's in the stripes that were to stay the wall color.
Painting Tip: No matter what tape you use your bound to get the color to bleed under the tape. Since I had each stripe broken up with the original wall color, once I had all my lines prepped I re-painted along each line with the beige so if any paint were to bleed through it was the beige wall color which blended right in. This worked great! I had very minimum touch ups to do once I pulled off the tape, the other colors only bleed in a few very small spots.
A friend also suggested to caulk along the edges of the tape which should also keep the paint from bleeding through.
I used Valspar paint from Lowe's
The light blue and brown we already owned and have in other rooms in the house so I only had to purchase the other 3 colors, which I plan to use for other projects and accents for the room.
Light Blue: Mountian Top- 16 inches
Beige: Toasted Almond - 5 inches
Green: Tropical Foliage - 12 inches
Beige: Toasted Almond - 5 inches
Beige: Toasted Almond - 5 inches
Navy Blue: Baritone Blues - 16 inches
Beige: Toasted Almond - 5 inches
Medium Blue: Summerhouse Blue - 12 inches
Beige: Toasted Almond - 5 inches
Brown: Coffee Bean - 16 inches *(actually 15 1/2)
I was a bit nervous about the outcome since this was my first time painting stripes or using bold colors like this bright green. But once I peels off the tape, I LOVE IT!
Dave even got the motivation to set up the crib! He only got made once and used a few cuss words when trying to put the mattress panel....I had to come to the rescue to help hold it while he tightened the screws. But all is good, it works!
After it was all put together and we threw the bedding in there to see what it looked like, then we both sat on the floor for a long time admiring both our handy work and thinking about how our baby boy will be sleeping here in a few short months.......
7 comments:
I LOVE it! I have painted a lot of stripes and was thinking of giving you the advice about painting the base color over top of the tape to avoid bleeding but if I know you, I knew you'd do a ton of research online!! ha ha
Ha ha you know me so well!!! :)
The stripes are adorable! You are certainly a weirdo for loving to paint and you've got much more patience than I, but the result is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see how everything comes together!
ADORABLE!!!!!! Come decorate the rest of my house, please :)
Looks awesome Brenda, you did a great job! Now all you need is that sweet little man and the room will be complete!
Love the stripes! They look great. Your color scheme is really similar to the one we are using, except we're using aqua instead of blue.
Post a Comment