Wednesday, November 11, 2009

#37 Marley & Me Review

I was at the library a couple weeks ago trying to find the Twilight books, which unfortunately were all checked out, and came across Marley & Me by John Grogan. So I picked it up and decided to give it a read while I waited for the books I was really wanted to come in. Of course Twilight and New Moon came in the next day and I jumped at the chance to read those first so this book was put on the backburner until this week. Now yes I have already seen the movie. I thought it was pretty good, sad of course but good. I knew the whole jist of the story but of course not all movies and are just like their books, so I was looking forward to seeing what the book was all about.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the book! It was a very easy read, finished in 2 days. It was just as sad in the movie, actually more so. Being a dog lover and having 2 of my own I could really relate to many of the things the author wrote about. There were many parts in the book that stuck out and made me think about our dogs and all the things they did, such as the time one of them jumped into my sister-in-laws parents fish pond or when the gate in my parents yard wasn't shut all the way and it was around the corner from the house and out site, Waveland sneeked around the corner and ran for the front yard, running circles on the hill until I caught her (I should add they live on a very busy street, gave me a heartattack). Or the time I was taking an armful of boxes out to the garage, just as I was backing out of the door to go outside and trying to swing around to close the screen door...both dogs jumped at the opportunity to run straight through the closing door and outside, to freedom! I dropped everything in my arms as they made a mad dash out to the alley then back around our tree, down two houses and then back to our yard up to the street, all the while I am chasing them. Of course they think we're playing a game or tag. Finally I fall to my knees and they both run at my to attack, just as they see me reaching to grap them they try to take off again but to no avail, I got them both by the scruff of their backs! Ohh I could go on...

A few parts of the book that caught my attention the most I have included below. They are so true but when your a dog lover/owner you would have it no other way. I would definitely recommend this book to others.

  • "Like any relationship, this one has its costs. They were costs we came to accept and balance against the joy and amusement and protection and companionship he gave us. We could have bought a small yacht with what we spent on our dog and all the things he destroyed. Then again, how many yachts wait by the door all day for your return? How many live for the moment they can climb in your lap or ride down the hill with you on a toboggan, licking your face? Marley had earned his place in our family. Like a quirky but beloved uncle, he was what he was. He would never be Lassie or Benji or Old Yeller; he would never reach Westminster or even the county fair. We knew that now. We accepted him for the dog he was, and loved him all the more for it."
  • "Marley taught be about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught be to appreciate the simple things - a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness, and above all else, unwavering loyalty."
  • "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbols mean nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges other not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really wuite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticates, have always had trouble figuring out what really countrs and what does not."

No comments: