I just finished the latest book I have been reading called "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I received this book as a gift from my friend Tiffany for my birthday TWO YEARS AGO! Just like the last book. I know, I know, I've been horrible. But since I am finally trying to become a reader I decided to read all the books in my personal collection before going out and either buying new books, checking out books from the library or borrowing from friends. I am very glad to have read this book. I thought it was really insightful, enlightening, and even a little comical.
The book is a true story of the authors own journey in finding herself. Elizabeth has a successful career, a country home in the suburbs of New York, a husband, and just beginning to try to become pregnant only to realize that she wants neither a child or a husband. Her journey through a nasty divorce and a deep depression, Elizabeth sets out on a year long travel of self-discovery and soul searching. She plans to divide her time equally in 3 different countries; Italy, India, and Indonesia. Elizabeth indulges her pleasure in Italy, savoring the world's best pizza, wonderful wines, and gelato; she then visits an Ashram in India for spirituality, medication, and prayer; and last, to find balance in Indonesia. A few of my favorite lines:
- When attempting to speak to God directly for the first time, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work.'"
- The Bhagavad Gita- that ancient Indian Yogic text- says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
- A friend told her once, "That all the sorrow and trouble of this world is caused by unhappy people."... "The search for contentment is, therefore, not merely a self-preserving and self-benefiting act, but a generous gift to the world. Clearing out all your misery gets you out of the way. You cease being an obstacle, not only to yourself but to anyone else. Only then are you free to serve and enjoy other people."
1 comment:
:)
Glad you loved the book! And I loved the quotes you picked out!
Post a Comment